Thursday, January 31, 2013

Christmas Break in Oregon

Christmas Eve and ready to open presents.  That's how we do it at my parents. And the kids were excited!
Eva had been DYING to open presents.  It's really hard when they are all out staring at you.
They spend a lot of time on this recliner with my dad.  Elijah always is wondering where Pap is when he isn't around. He doesn't really know what a job is.  I think he even asked my mom if he was at school.
My brothers are so awesome!  They love my kids and played lots of games with them. And of course tease my Eva to no end.  They treat her like a sister.
I don't know how many years its been since I was around for Erik's birthday. But this time I was. On the 26th of December he turned 23.  I remember his birth like it were yesterday.
Zoo Lights
This took a lot of courage for her.  
Portland Aquarium
Ricky and Keri invited us to come.  It took me over an hour to find the darn place, but it was fun. 
Out of this World Pizza.  Lily is always the sweetest to Elijah. She plays with him and loves on him.
These girls will be best friends forever.  Just like their mamas.  
These cute kids are only ten months apart and are cousins. Something about it cracks me up.  

Our Christmas morning on the 30th
Cousins.  I think these girls will be good friend one day.  They already are.
Sledding
Kids left and the adults had fun.
Eva lost her first tooth in Sisters.  I technically yanked it out for her. She had been so patient. 
Puzzles.  I just watch.  
Cannon Beach


Christmas Day Dinner with the Wilkinson's
Christmas Eve.  Eva was cute and went to my mom and told her she really wanted a boy barbie because she didn't have one.  And of course they got her one.  My kids are spoiled.
Christmas break was quite different for us this year.  For the first time we, Matthew and the kids and I spent it apart.  It really was an accident the way it happened.  Matthew bumped some classes to be able to take his USMLE test and by doing that he had to make them up in December.  Well, imagine our surprise when they told him he would have to be doing a shift at the hospital Christmas Eve and would then be finishing up on the 28th.  We were very disappointed.  We tried to make the best of it, but it wasn't the same not having your whole family together.  The truth is, if we wouldn't have been so naive, we wouldn't have come to the States.  I would have much rather been together as a family.  But, we did it.  And hope to not have to do it again anytime soon, but we aren't counting on it.

So, from the 17th to the 28th I spent time with my family.  My brother Alex was there from the East Coast, which is always such a treat when he is around, and then Erik, of course was home and Ricky and Keri weren't to far away in Washington.  We managed to see them quite a bit too.  On the 29th, Matthew flew in, happy day for me.  I REALLY missed him this time, I normally can hold it together, but holidays are different I suppose.  Then we headed to Sisters.  We were there for the New Year and spent some time with his siblings, and the kids' cousins.  Then headed to Cannon Beach for a few days with Nana and Grandpa, only to head back to Hillsboro for a couple days before we came back to Mexico.  This trip flew by!  But we managed to do some of our favorites.  Oregon in the winter isn't the best, but we always love the people we leave behind and they make being there worth every penny!

2 comments:

Anjane' said...

A few days ago, Kylee & I called my dad & he didn't answer. I told her, "Grandpa is probably at work." and she asked, "What is work?". Sounds like our kids have no idea that most people don't go to school all day like their daddies. :)

Carlee Powell said...

Loved the pictures! thanks for doing the blog.