Thursday, September 15, 2011

Eva's First Day of Kinder 3


Have I already explained that they do schooling a little different in Mexico than they do in the states?  Well, I have a horrible memory so I am going to explain a little about schooling here for the sake of enlightening everybody.  Private education is quite the boom here.  I guess it is because I live around people with quite a bit of money, but even people that don't make much make the sacrifice to send their children to private school.  Most of the reasoning behind it is that people want their children to be bilingual and almost all of the private schools are bilingual  The other main difference is that people send there children to school very early on.  Even mom's that don't work will send their children to school by 18 months.  But really, kinder doesn't start until the child is 2 to two and a half and that is considered kinder one and there are up to three kinders.  Now that Eva is five she is in Kinder 3 which is the last of the kinders.  The children by the end of this year will be able to read close to fluently in Spanish and will be able to write in cursive as well.  Crazy huh?  In math they will know there numbers up to 100 and will begin to add and subtract.  Of course coming from the states I am amazed that my daughter will be able to do all this but it makes sense here since children go to three years of kinder right?  Should I get on my, I advocate free preschool education tangent now?  I will spare all of you.  So my Eva is now in Kinder three and these were some of the shots from the first day of school.  It wasn't as emotional as it would have been back in Oregon starting kinder, but I will get over it.  She is excited about school still and for that I couldn't be more thankful.  


Now enter her brother.  Elijah is not so excited about school.  Tiny Town likes to take younger siblings to school for free on Fridays.  So starting that first Friday that Eva had school we put her little brother there too.  He was a mess the first day, and has slightly been getting better but not really.  They don't have him there long, only two hours but he stills prefer to be home with his momma watching a little Elmo and chilling out.  Okay, we don't watch a ton of Elmo, just one episode a day but he still loves the red furry creature.  Why do I send him to school you ask?  Well, really it's his dad's idea because he thinks he's too attached to me, but the other reason why is because we feel it would be good for him to learn to interact with other children and socialize.  I am hopeful he will get better there but today, he did stay home with me because he panicked and didn't even want to get out of the car.  And of course, I am NOT willing to send my kid into school in hysterics when I am not doing anything at home that couldn't have a cute little toddler with me.  I know I am a sucker but when the time comes he will get this.

1 comment:

The Morgans said...

The kids look adorable in their school shirts!! Elijah..I'm right there with ya buddy..I'd rather watch Elmo than go to school!